Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What a morning

I took a run at the park near the school with some friends. It was soothing to get out and run again. This morning I saw a few zebras and impala. But today is a different day because we get to visit another site for my intercultural communications class. This is where we will be able to engage with the community rather than just driving by. I am nervous and excited for what is to come. I don't know what to expect really. I know that it will be something completely out of my comfort zone.

My Communication class has been an eye opener to how essential it is to get cultural savvy with different types of cultures. While being here in SA I have seen how apartheid has stripped the colored people of their own culture. Since they are not considered to be white enough or black enough. I am learning more and more each day, as I talk to some of the wonderful people on the campus. It was interesting on the way back from Haniville, I asked someone what their ethnicity was and they gave me a confused look. I realized that they consider their heritage but the color classification they are in. There are four distinct race groups: Whites, Blacks, Coloured, and Indian. I don't know what exactly to think of when people just classify themselves as either one.

In the first few days we were here, I was able to visit the Apartheid Museum. It was quite shocking how the blacks were basically stripped of everything. Their freedom, education, ability to prosper, or the ability to live in a suitable condition. How does someone come in a foreign land and take everything way from the people living there for centuries and prosper from their pains?

I am guilty of greed as well.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Girl,
    I'm taking the same class here and wow you are so Blessed to be able to see things that way. Any way i Know what you mean when you said the race. In my class we watched a Film called "The Shadow Of Hate" this film really opened my eyes to see things a little differently. Its not just the Blacks being stripped of every thing its the Japanese, the Hispanics, the Chines and thats just the beginning you know what i mean? Any way keep learning girl and keep me informed k later StarGazer

    ReplyDelete