Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day at Durban

Durban is a fast pace city where people walk anywhere to get to their destination. It reminded me of a little bit of LA, but definitely a different place entirely. It was not what I really expected. They had markets on the streets and inside buildings. I went shopping in a street market called Victoria Street, which was an indoor market. It smelled of curry pounder :]. There was tons of things, and shop keepers were willing to make a bargain. I got somethings to take home and remind me of Africa and some other things. One thing I thought were these incredible paintings. They smelt like crayons!! They depicted figures with children or a village or wild game. But what was so captivating were the vibrant colors used.

After the indoor market, I was able to swim in the Indian Ocean!! Which was bizarre because I am used to the sun setting on the coast. But it was setting behind the city, so there was not sunset on the beach. Another thing were the waves when they crashed were so powerful!! I almost got knocked down a couple of times when I was out there. Tons of locals were out there swimming and playing soccer in the water. At one point there was a whole dance/clapping party in the water. It was awesome to see people who don't know each other but are communal in dancing.

When I was getting out, I was bombarded by a group of girls who were so excited to see me. I wasn't sure why, but I think they knew I was America. They said I love you and I love your costume- which is bathing suit to them. It was kinda scary because they were so excited, and they wanted to take a picture together. I was a celebrity for just a second and it was very interesting :]

1 comment:

  1. Wow that sounded Like a wonderful Day. You know what they say, Every one get there 15 mins of Fame. Haha Jk any way Have fun and keep Enjoying Life. Later Gazer

    ReplyDelete