Sunday, November 1, 2009

The first of November

I only have another 6 weeks left before I leave for the States.
This past week was the start of my service site at Project Gateway. I hang out with women who have been abused and I work at Christian school. Its been hard the past few days with the women because it just seems like we've just popped out of nowhere invading their personal space. I don't know why I expected the women to be happy to see and meet us. I keep forgetting that their background, what ever it may be, wasn't easy. I don't know if I have the right words to say. Most of the women don't even seem interested in staying around to chat which makes me discouraged as well as my other friends with me.
I guess what's really bothering me is if anything I am doing is worth it. I know it is, and most of the time the fruits of one's labor isn't always seen. I am asking the Lord to help me and my friends continue to love and be positive about this despite the gloomy atmosphere. But the first few days went really well despite today and Friday. Today was good and bad. We were able to bake scones for them but no one was really interested in baking. But I was glad to know they enjoyed the scones we made.
I was thinking that we only have 10 more days total to be working there and it just seems like that isn't enough time at all.

The school has been going well. I am using my library skills that I have acquired from high school to fix books. Its a tedious chore but I am glad to help none the less. Some days we get to teach P.E for the classes which was one of the reasons why I wanted to work at Gateway.

Halloween was not the same this year. I went hiking in the famous Drakensberg mountains and was able to look at Bushman cave paintings. The hike was absolutely awesome. There was a store that we were able to go in before our hike started and I was looking through it and found an interesting book about the mountains. It was called encounters with the Dragon. I was looking through the books and the images captured of the mountain range were spectacular.
Every time I see the splendor of His creation, I want to be right in the middle of it and breathe it all in. To have my mind, body and soul completely quite right in His presence.








No comments:

Post a Comment