Friday, November 20, 2009

Time is precious.

This was my last week of service site. I didn't realize how soon it would all come to an end. I knew the time was short but I didn't take hold of it to well. Our last day at Esther House we threw a tea party for the ladies and took them to AE. They were talking about it for days before the party. I didn't know how excited they were until the day came when everyone was all dressed up and ready to go.
Once we got to AE I was so nervous that things would go bad, that they wouldn't like what we planned or they would be bored. But instead they absolutely enjoyed it all! We played pin the pedal on the flower. Where we decorated our own flower pedals and then pined them up blindfolded. Lulama is a mother of a young girl, Thabile, that I got to know. She told us that she was thankful of the things we did. That we started to remind them of the dreams they have and to go out there and reach for them. I never knew that the ladies talked about some of the activities we did with in the house. But to hear that they actually enjoyed making a dream chart and the river of life. It was so good to hear that we made a difference some how.

Once that was over we had to take them back because they needed to get back before 6.
It was just too soon that we had to rush them out. I was trying to take in as much as I could before they left. We took a group photo and walked towards the van. Once we got to Gateway to say our goodbyes I saw the faces of these women for the last time. Each hug was priceless, each farewell was and is precious. I never knew how much they meant to me until that moment. When I said goodbye to one of the ladies' son, Esfundo, I opened my arms to embrace him and he just smiled at me and said bye. As I walked away looking back for the last time, I cried.

Papa Reg, a wonderful man of God and fortunately our head master here in South Africa told me that "Tears are the price we pay for love". I didn't expect to feel this way after the four weeks. I didn't know the ladies would cry. But I know God made His glory shine through us to reach them. I know we loved them for who they are.

It just wasn't enough. Not enough time. Not enough laughs, or hugs or tears. I just wanted to stay there and to love on them and learn from them.
And the most difficult part of it all is I don't know if I will ever see them again.

There should be a warning sign for the next semesters that go to South Africa.



1 comment:

  1. Yes- there "should" be warning signs for others that if you invest in people, you will feel a sense of loss. There is ANOTHER example of how you've experienced love/loss similar to what Jesus went through when He asked for the cup to be taken from Him and when he cried over Jerusalem. Grieving your leaving is healthy, but don't focus on it! :) Enjoy the time you have there. Be intentional of who you spend time with. Pray for wisdom on who to pour out to when you are there, then let God do the rest!! Countdowns stink, because it makes you focus on the negative. Instead- take time daily to see whom you can be intention in pouring your love, time, care etc into. :D I wish I was here to help you debrief.. but we'll talk when you come back!

    ReplyDelete