Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Wena Unjani

Asking how you are in IsiZulu is as far as I can go. I want to know more!! Today was my first day at my service site-Project Gateway. The morning was long but filled with fun and little kids. There is a Christian school for grades R all the way to 7th that I will be able to work with in the mornings. On our first day I was greeted by tons of little ones coming up and hugging me. I was asking for their names but it was hard to keep up with the amount of kids and the fact the their names are in IsiZulu! Plus some have a click in it which makes it interesting :]. Then I felt
two little hands in my mine pulling me to this huge slanted hill. The children run up and down this 45 degree hill just for kicks during their break. I was kinda spent after the third time... man I need to get into shape again or at least in better condition. But I enjoyed it so much! I know I came to the right place because of the things I will be able to do here. I get to play with these children and talk with them, help the teachers with PE lessons, fix the library, help prepare food and serve it to a community ten minutes away and finally engage with women who come from physically abusive relationships.
I was much more apprehensive about the second part of our day. I got to speak with women who have been hurt by their husbands or boyfriends. I was scared, worrying about what I would say. I just never worked with young women like this before. But it was not as scary as I thought. Many of these women have children so we played with them. One of the hardest thing is that there is the language barrier, which makes things a bit unnerving. But God gave us the courage and it couldn't have happened any way else. I just sat and spoke with a young woman who is a little bit older than I am. She was holding her three month old son who was so cute!! But we chatted for a little bit. The suddenly it was time to go... I really just wanted to stay a little bit longer.

I am at the half way mark and I know I will want more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment