Monday, December 7, 2009

10 days

are left here in South Africa. I don't really want to leave. I miss home and every one, but there is something about this country, its people, and its history that just capture my attention. These pass 8 days have been wonderful. I was able to visit Cape Town and sight see a bit. Then we've had class twice a week, which has been so informative on the culture here in Cape Town. I am starting to understand the effects of Apartheid now. Seeing how it has effected the mindsets of all the peoples- whites, blacks coloureds, and Indians. It was a dark and sadistic time in human history, but there is so much hope for this beautiful country.

My time here has been extraordinary. We have cultural mentors while being in Cape Town, and they are the funkiest people ever. Mine is Liezl, she is wonderful! She's tiny and sweet. She is engaged to my Student Life Coordinator- Reagen. They are so awesome together. But the rest of the guys are so different in their own ways.

This past weekend I was able to stay at a family's house with another student. It was very interesting to live for a few days in a coloured community that is economically disadvantaged. One thing I found out is when the government was under the Apartheid regime, there were forced removals of people. They would take the people living on the coast and move them to the other side of town and put them into government development homes. People were taken from their homes and moved because of their skin color. They had no choice because the government was behind it all. It has been heart breaking just thinking about it all. I really don't know how much hurt would come from it all if I was in that position.

This week is going to be great. For chapel I will be speaking on Salt and Light. I am nervous because I've not really preached, I guess. I like doing it smaller setting rather than just speaking out to the crowd. But it will be good, hopefully!
Then we go to an famous prison that Nelson Mandela was in and on saturday I will climb Table Mountain!!


1 comment:

  1. A) You are going to do (or probably already) did great on your message on Salt and Light! :) Soooo proud of you, but you already know that!

    B) What great thoughts you are having. I love that you share them with us so candidly. Yes, you are getting a love for that country, and BOY does it have more to show you. BUT, I know that God has shown you some great stuff! :) He has perfect timing! :) Keep savoring it all, my friend. :) You're doing great! Can't wait to hang with you and hear ALL about it!!!!

    C). colour? really? lol. Sure you're not in England hiding somewhere to play peekaboo with me?

    D) I miss you.

    ReplyDelete